Frequently Asked Questions
- Where can I find information about the CEMS MIM programme at LSM?
You can find all information here.
For the full curriculum, click on the links below:
- How to get accommodation in Louvain-la-Neuve? What are the overall prices?
You have several options in Louvain-la-Neuve regarding lodging possibilities.
If you are an incoming student, we strongly advise you to apply for the CEMS kot through our Program Manager, Ambra Cardinali. You will be asked before your arrival if you want a room in it.
Other options exist: about 4,600 rooms (either in studios, apartments or communal apartments) are proposed by the UCL university while there are also a lot of possibilities managed by private companies. Most of students live in an individual room, but share with other students the kitchen, the living room and the sanitary installations (shower and toilets). The room is usually equipped (wash-basin, bed, mattress, chair, table, cupboard and shelf space). The tenants must buy their bedding and cutlery themselves. Communal apartments have between 6 and 10 tenants.
Studios generally have one living room, including a kitchen area and a shower. Apartments have up to four rooms.
Rent ranges from € 275 to € 450 per month. A deposit is usually required.
Students are strongly advised to reserve a room in advance if they want to enjoy either the UCL housing service or private companies housing services.
UCL Accommodation office (“Service des Logements de l’UCL”) :
Address : Rue de la Gare 6, B-1348 Louvain-la-Neuve
Use the UCL online tool for accommodations requests: www.uclouvain.be/515255
Still no room upon arrival? : www.uclouvain.be/en-440868
- What are the conditions of application?
The programme is only open to students who fulfill the admission requirements and will enroll at LSM in the Master 120 in Business Engineering or Management.
1st STEP (Admission Requirements)
1. Meet the LSM Admission Requirements www.uclouvain.be/en-402659
2. Be able to provide proof of academic preparation. The proof has to be submitted at the time of application or it will be rejected:
– For non-Belgian degree holder: GMAT 600 only Quantitative and Verbal (unless holding a degree from a CEMS or Double Degree partner university. In this case we require a B ECTS grade).
– For Belgian degree holder : a weighted average of 67% out of the Belgian bachelor degree (or on 2 years and a half of the Bachelor degree if not graduated yet) or GMAT 600 (only Quantitative and Verbal).
3. Be able to provide proof of proficiency in English (if not mother tongue) through any of the following (minimum level). The proof has to be submitted at the time of application or it will be rejected:
– One of the following certificates: IELTS 7.0, TOEFL iBT100, CAE B, BEC Higher B or CPE C,
– have a Bachelor’s diploma entirely taught in English from an English speaking country, or in a CEMS or an EQUIS/AACSB accredited institution,
– A-level GCSE issued in Singapore.
2nd STEP (Online Application)
Apply online on www.cems.org/selection. Please note: the CEMS MIM year is the 2nd year of the LSM Master’s degree:
1. Fill in the online CEMS Application Form (if you still have to obtain your bachelor degree, please put an estimated delivery date).
2. Upload a unique pdf file named “FamilyNAME_FirstNAME_CEMS_LSM_CV“ including (if one or more of the required documents are missing, your application will be rejected):
– 1 page A4 motivation letter (in English),
– A CV (including photo for admin purposes, in English. If you won’t be in Belgium for the interview, please indicate the country and your Skype account).
3. Upload a unique pdf file named “FamilyNAME_FirstNAME_CEMS_LSM_ApplicationDocuments“ including the following mandatory documents (if one or more of the required proofs are missing, your application will be rejected):
– GMAT Total Score (if applicable),
– Transcript of records of all your university studies (preparatory year included; all exams even those without a grade),
– Copy of university diploma (if applicable),
– Copy of your official English certificate,
– If you won’t be in Belgium for the interview, please indicate the country and your Skype account,
– Proof of non-refundable payment (85euro) to the following account:
IBAN: BE11 3100 9590 0148 ,
BIC: BBRUBEBB ,
Bank name: Banque ING ,
Bank address: Rue des Wallons 2 – B1348 Louvain-la-Neuve, Belgium ,
Bank communication: CEMS 41.11000.039 “First Name”, “Last Name”
3rd STEP (Selection)
1. Applicants meeting the admission requirements and with an online application fully and properly completed will be invited by email at LSM to a selection interview (by Skype if not in Belgium).
The selection interview lasts approximately 20 minutes and is held in English and in the languages spoken by the candidate. Representatives from the CEMS Corporate Partners, the CEMS Faculty and the LSM CEMS Office will be present.
The following CEMS-wide selection criteria will be assessed: intellectual potential and knowledge, attitude and soft skills, international orientation. Students are selected for CEMS MIM for their outstanding profile and on the basis of their potential for an international career.
2. Selection decision will be communicated to applicants by email within a week after the interview. Please note: applicants are first selected for entry to the CEMS MIM programme, and then offered destinations for their term(s) abroad.
3. A ranking will be drawn up on the basis of the CEMS online application form, academic performance and interview.
4th STEP (Enrollment)
1. Enroll in 2017-2018 LSM Master’s degree programme in Business Engineering or Management (both can be totally in English), 120 credits following the UCL LSM Admission Procedure www.uclouvain.be/en-402659 :
– For non-EU citizens : deadline April 30th
– For EU citizens : deadline August 31st
Once enrolled, you will follow the study programme CEMS-Business Engineering or CEMS-Management.
2. The choice of CEMS University as exchange destination will take place in mid-December.
3. The available slots are allocated according to the ranking. Preferences for the location and the sequence are taken into consideration. However, exchange slots per school are limited and some schools are available under specific conditions.
4. You will receive a destination for the highest preference that you are eligible for, however you might not get your preferred term.
5. At LSM, the possibility to do 2 academic terms abroad has a limited access and the available places are allocated according to the same ranking.
- I don’t have my IELTS/TOEFL on time for the application, what can I do?
You can still apply for the CEMS if you can proof that you’re enrolled to take the test before the 18th of March. Additionally, you need to send an email to Ambra Cardinali to let her know your situation and introduce a delay request.
- What is the deadline for the program application?
The first step is to submit your application online around March 2017 (13th of March in 2017). Meanwhile, make sure you meet the CEMS admission requirements. Be careful, requirements among CEMS partner schools may differ!
- How to contact CEMS Club Belgium and CEMS office?
The CEMS Office is located at the Louvain School of Management at the groundfloor of the Doyens Building, corridor A. Adress: place des Doyens 1, B-1348 Louvain-la-Neuve, Belgium.
You can also contact the CEMS Team composed of 3 members:
Head of CEMS Office
CEMS Program Manager
Tuesday – Wednesday – Thursday morning
Tél : +32 10 47 90 29
CEMS Corporate Affairs Manager (Internship – Business Projects – soft skills Seminars)
Tuesday & Thursday
Tél : + 32 10 47 83 46
Tuesday : 13:30-15:00, Thursday and Friday: 10:00-11:30
Tél: +32 10 47 83 22
- How to become a member of CEMS Club Belgium?
Before your arrival, the CEMS Club elections for the new semester will happen on our official Facebook group where you will be added and you will have the opportunity to apply for various positions regarding your study semester.
- Living costs in Louvain-la-Neuve
Train ticket from Brussels to Louvain-la-Neuve: 5.30 euros
Daily newspaper: 1.50 euros
Cinema ticket: 8 euros
Dish of the day in a university restaurant: 4.75 euros
Dish of the day in a city restaurant: 10-13 euros
Sandwich: 3 euros
Loaf of bread (800 g): 2.10 euros
250 g of chocolates: 6 euros
1 kg of apples: 1.50-2.50 euros
Litre of milk: 0.60-1.00 euro
A packet of ground coffee (250 g): 4-5 euros
- Where do I find the courses time schedule?
Click here. Select a link whether you are enrolled in a Master 120 in Business Engineering or Management. Afterwards, select the necessary elements of the list according to the course options you chose. A weekly schedule will appear.
- Can I take language courses?
It is possible to take language courses as part of your curriculum, please refer to the LSM info page on the cems.org website for the full list.
Remember, CEMS graduates are expected, at the end of the CEMS MIM, to be able to interact in two foreign languages (in addition to the mother tongue) at a very high level. You have to prove your language level; more info here.
- Can I take sport classes?
You ask for the sport card of UCL when doing your enrollment. For 50€ per year you will have access to “the Blocry”, the Sport and Fitness Complex of UCL where you have the opportunity to do more than 90 sports. More info here.
- Do I need to speak French and/or Dutch?
It isn’t necessary to speak French or Dutch; English is enough. All CEMS classes and events are in English, and the CEMSies of course all speak English as well. In town you should be able to get by with English as most people speak the language.
It would of course be easier to integrate into a Belgian crowd if you speak French – so if you are learning French, it is the perfect opportunity to practise.
- What does “two experiences abroad” mean exactly? Is it true there is an internship and 2 erasmus exchanges with the CEMS programme?
To complete your CEMS program, you have to spend at least two semesters abroad. It can be as an exchange student, in this case, only one third of Belgian students are selected to spend two academic semesters in another CEMS school. Or it can be through your compulsory internship of 12 weeks that you have to achieve at any moment during your CEMS program.
Usually, students go one semester abroad and do their internships abroad as well (see internship requirements) to fulfill this requirement but you can also spend two academic semesters abroad (depending on your ranking) and do your internship abroad as well, or stay in Belgium.
- What kind of internship can we do? How long, when exactly do we do it, what kind of company, etc.?
The LSM Internship Guide is your most reliable source of information.
Remember, if studying at LSM the internship can be placed after Easter of the first year of Master (strongly advised) or after the second year of Master (see image on right side) and must count a minimum of 12 consecutive weeks, and CEMS students must spend 2 out of 3 terms abroad.
- Is it easy to visit nearby cities? How far is it from Brussels, London, Paris, etc. ?
Louvain-la-Neuve in itself is quite particular: it was only founded in 1972, after the split of the University of Leuven (Louvain in French) between the Dutch and French speakers in 1968. It is therefore the newest and youngest town in Belgium, with half of its population currently attending the university, while the other half is made up mostly of former students. It is mostly pedestrian, and great fun for students.
You might, however, like to get out and visit nearby cities. Brussels is only 30km away (20mins by car) and you can easily get a lift to the center with students who commute or carsharing apps. You can also take public transport – there is a direct train connection as well as a very practical shuttle service.
Belgium is a small country but there is lots to visit (we recommend Brussels, Bruges, Antwerp, Leuven…) and more importantly, it is literally in the center of Europe so it is perfectly located for city-trips all over Europe.
Train services such as Thalys and Eurostar will take you to Paris in 1h22mins, Cologne in 1h47mins, Amsterdam in 1h50mins, London in 2 hours, and many more exciting places… Then of course you could take a cheap flight (from the Brussels Airport or Charleroi, careful – most low cost lines leave from the latter which is referred to ‘Brussels South’ but is a bit of a way away…) or the cheapest option is usually a bus (check out Ouibus and Megabus).
- What is the best way to reach Louvain-la-Neuve?
From Zaventem Airport:
Take the train to Bruxelles-Midi Station and there take a train for Ottignies Louvain-la-Neuve. It takes approximately 1h45 to reach Louvain-la-Neuve and costs between 21 and 25€. You can buy your tickets in the station, at the counters or through electronic terminals (no need to book in advance).
You can also take a taxi, that will cost you between 60 and 80€ if you take the standard company (might be good to check Apps like Uber and MyTaxi to see if it’s cheaper).
From Bruxelles-Midi Station:
The best option is to take the train to Louvain-la-Neuve. It costs 5,5€, you take your ticket in the station at counters or electronic terminals (no need to book it in advance). It takes 1 hour to reach the city.
Check train schedules here.
- Can I find testimonials somewhere from people who have studied there?
Yes definitely! You can check our new column “Why I chose for CEMS” in the BLOG section to find testimonials about students. Don’t hesitate to contact us as well!
- Other questions?